This Page

has moved to a new address:


Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The definitive host: When Home isn't Home, and the 40th Anniversary of Apollo 11!!!

The definitive host

de·fin·i·tive host (duh-fin'eh-tiv) n. 1) An organism where a parasite undergoes the adult and sexual stages of its reproductive cycle 2) Someone you go to for interesting stories and/or facts, and puts on one hell of a dinner party 3) This blog, devoted to science and other geeky subjects

Monday, July 20, 2009

When Home isn't Home, and the 40th Anniversary of Apollo 11!!!

Well, I'm sick.

I stayed home from work today, but they are still finding ways to slowly encroach upon my life. That being said, I have just a few short weeks left until I can finally cast aside the shackles of public affairs, and pick up the shackles of a Master's of Journalism. Joy.

It's not that I hate Ottawa, I don't. It's just not 'home.' You know?

Even though I've been here for almost a year, it's not home. When I think about my future, it is not in Ottawa. Ottawa is for politics, not scientists. Ottawa is where scientists go for money, I should know, as I currently work there.

But, to put a happier spin on this post, it is the 40th anniversary of the Moon landing. SO, here are 10 interesting space & moon facts:

- The official name of Earth's Moon is, "the Moon" with a capital M. All other moons are with a lower-case m to show the difference
- "Buzz" Aldrin's mother's maiden name was Moon, and his real first name is Edwin
- At 62,000 feet of elevation, without a pressure suit, your blood would boil (known as the Armstrong line)
- Every year, the Moon drifts 3.8 cm away from the Earth's gravity
- 55 per cent of Americans know that the sun is actually a star. What the other 45 per cent think it is, I have NO idea
- During a full Moon, the Earth's temperature increases by about 0.02 degrees
- There are THREE golf balls on the Moon
- Neil Armstrong's footprint on the surface of the Moon will remain intact for approximately 10 million years
- Only 20 seconds of fuel remained in Apollo 11's lunar lander when it landed on the Moon
- If you heat moon dust to 800 degrees Centigrade, it turns into water

Labels: , , , ,


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home