<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thedavidmanly.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The definitive host: Just a little quiz

The definitive host

de·fin·i·tive host (duh-fin'eh-tiv) n. 1) An organism where a parasite undergoes the adult and sexual stages of its reproductive cycle 2) Someone you go to for interesting stories and/or facts, and puts on one hell of a dinner party 3) This blog, devoted to science and other geeky subjects

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Just a little quiz

Source
 As regular readers of this blog are aware - I am a very big proponent of science education.

Not only because it is a subject I enjoy learning about, but also because it helps me understand the world around me and taught me how to think analytically. My education in science has dictated much of my career path, from me pursuing it in university with the idea to become a zoology professor to getting my Masters of Journalism degree so I could learn to share my enthusiasm for the subject with others.

Not that I know everything there is to know about science - that is one of the beauties of the subject. Every day more experiments are published, theories explored and ideas thought up. Every day more knowledge gets added to the fields of science, and it constantly changes - you could even say it evolves.

I try to keep on top of most of it, and I usually succeed in my major fields of interest: biology, zoology, ecology and the like.

Earlier this week, I stumbled upon an online quiz from the Pew Research Center, in co-operation with Smithsonian Magazine. The Pew center define themselves as "a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world."

Their online quiz was designed to test scientific knowledge for a random samples of Americans.  While the main study is completed, you can still take the test and see how well you did comparatively.

While the test was designed for the U.S., it is a good way to gauge your knowledge on various fields of science - from nanotechnology to climatology.

You can take the quiz here: http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

And once you do, please let me know how you did! Either in the comment section below, Facebook, Twitter, Google +, email, etc...

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At April 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The results of the test are very worrying. I didn't find a complete breakdown of the results, but if only 20% of those who responded know that nitrogen is the most abundant gas in the atmosphere then it's bad news for the future. Another Sputnik crisis could save the day, but I can't foresee anything that could have a similar impact, except maybe an alien invasion.

 
At August 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM , Anonymous Amanda said...

This is cool!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home