<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thedavidmanly.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The definitive host: Let There be Snow!

The definitive host

de·fin·i·tive host (duh-fin'eh-tiv) n. 1) An organism where a parasite undergoes the adult and sexual stages of its reproductive cycle 2) Someone you go to for interesting stories and/or facts, and puts on one hell of a dinner party 3) This blog, devoted to science and other geeky subjects

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Let There be Snow!

First off, I'll let everyone know that my sleep schedule is ALMOST back to normal. It was touch and go there for a few days, but it is pretty well back to normal after sleeping for 11 hours last night :)

Today in Ottawa, it snowed. I know that I should not be surprised, as it IS winter after all. During my walk in the snow, I almost tripped, my right pant leg got soaked and I have a nagging feeling that I am getting sick.

Truly, this is a Winter Wonder-Hell.

During my contemplation of the wicked white weather that was being thrust upon Ottawa, I began to think about snow.

We have all heard the saying that, "You are unique like a snowflake."

And that is partly true, as snow is formed by the random assortment of water molecules up in the atmosphere when they freeze.

But, think about a snow storm. The are trillions upon trillions of little snowflakes in a snow storm. Yet, probability states that no two snowflakes will be similar in that one storm.

But, with every snowflake that has EVER been created in every storm, the odds of two snowflakes actually being similar is highly likely.

Therefore, there is a good chance that there have been two snowflakes that are exactly identical to one another. That's right, two snowflakes that are the exact same. Doesn't that just blow your mind?

And even if you don't believe me, that's fine.

Just consider this if every believe that single snowflake is special:
"You are unique like a snowflake ... just like everybody else."

Doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At November 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Huh? It doesn't even come close to being likely! The probabilities involved are staggering (think particles in the universe staggering). But why should I explain when a crystallization expert can do better: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/alike/alike.htm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home