<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thedavidmanly.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The definitive host: "The road goes ever on and on ..."

The definitive host

de·fin·i·tive host (duh-fin'eh-tiv) n. 1) An organism where a parasite undergoes the adult and sexual stages of its reproductive cycle 2) Someone you go to for interesting stories and/or facts, and puts on one hell of a dinner party 3) This blog, devoted to science and other geeky subjects

Thursday, December 31, 2009

"The road goes ever on and on ..."

Well, another year is drawing to a close. And what a year!

But first, the past decade has been an interesting one filled with changes for me.

In 2000, I was in high school, and was ready to start an everlasting love-affair with biology. I was always a science nerd, but high school was one of the first times I thought 'Yeah, I could do this.'

Look how far we've come.

After high-school and getting my honours bachelor of science in biology/zoology, I decided to go into writing/journalism. JOURNALISM!

Looking back, I can understand why people got so confused. Also, I was recently reminded of something my OAC English teacher said to me after we received our essays back.

She said that I was a "wordsmith," and that I have a way of making everything that I am discussing, whether talking or writing, and making it sound like it is the most important thing to know or listen to at that particular moment. While some of my professor's in J-school may not always agree with bits of that, it was nice to be reminded of that.

As for good ol' departing 2009, there is only one way I can sum-up the year, and that is through my top five movies of the year!

#5) Watchmen

Yeah, it wasn't the greatest movie out there, but it was damn good fun (especially if you've read the graphic novel, which I suggest everyone do!) The book was the only graphic novel to be named one of TIME magazine's "All-TIME 100 Greatest Novels" list. And by the way, Rorschach is the best.



#4) Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince

Yeah, it's Harry Potter. But so what? Sure they glossed over many story points, and the reveal that (SPOILER ALERT) Snape was the Half-blood Prince really didn't have the emotional impact that it had in the book. But, it was an enjoyable movie that had action, adventure, drama and comedy, which is more than I can say for most movies released in 2009.



#3) Zombieland

What an unexpectedly good movie! It has copious amounts of violence, blood, gore, humour and Woody Harrelson having probably wayyyyy too much fun in his role. If you want just a great time, see this movie. And the cameo in the film, which I will not spoil here, is A-friggin-MAZING!



#2) The Hangover

This movie was a bit of an odd one. It didn't have any big stars, and the premise seemed a bit ridiculous, but somehow, it all worked. Not only did it work, but it worked amazingly well. And Zach Galifianakis as the brother-in-law was simply fantastic to watch, and hilarious throughout the entire movie. Just watch it, and if you don't like it, even just a little, I don't think we can be friends.



#1) Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

You're probably thinking: WHAT? SERIOUSLY?

Yes.

I went into this movie with low expectations, thinking that it was going to be another ok animated movie. But it was great. And it had so many science jokes, I was blown away! :)

And you could tell everyone was having a great time doing voices in that movie, from the sheer fun that Bill Hader, Anna Faris, and everyone else seem to be having. And honestly, who wouldn't love a movie that had Neil Patrick Harris as a monkey, giant food falling from the sky, a guy in a literal chicken suit, and a phone-call between a son and his father attempting to send an email, which had me rolling in my seat.

Go see this movie, but PLEASE eat first. I am not joking, you will be binging for food like nobody's buisness. Head my warning!



HAPPY NEW YEAR, FOLKS!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home