<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thedavidmanly.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The definitive host: Stream of consciousness fun!

The definitive host

de·fin·i·tive host (duh-fin'eh-tiv) n. 1) An organism where a parasite undergoes the adult and sexual stages of its reproductive cycle 2) Someone you go to for interesting stories and/or facts, and puts on one hell of a dinner party 3) This blog, devoted to science and other geeky subjects

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Stream of consciousness fun!

*SIGH*

While going for a bit of a walk yesterday, I noticed that the leaves have started to change colour. While to abundance of greens, yellows, reds and oranges are very pleasant to observe, it means that the season that shall not be named is coming.

I like winter, I really do. Snow is pretty, skiing is a lot of fun (which I hope to actively do this winter) and it means the holidays are coming. However, I am not a big fan of the COLD! Anything below.... -15 to -20 C is just too cold. And how could I forget SNOWSTORMS! Anyone remember that big one in Toronto last year? I had to drive home in that after spending 25 minutes brushing ice and snow off of my car. It took me almost two hours to get home, instead of the usual 20 minutes!

That being said, there is something incredibly beautiful about the aftermath from a snow dump. The picturesque landscape is completely covered with snow, and if someone just threw a white blanket on the city. It can be, dare I say it, a bit romantic?

Anyway, that was a fun little tangent, right? Now, back to business.

Instead of doing work, I was perusing my Animal Encyclopedia (what? how could a Biology/Zoology guy NOT have an animal book?) and I was looking through the mammals section. It makes me very sad at the state of some of the animals. I have a great love and appreciation for every animals role in the environment and ecosystem. I cannot understand how someone can murder (yes, murder, not kill) a tiger, a rhino, a whale, sharks, etc...
ALL ANIMALS ARE IMPORTANT, VITAL AND DESERVE OUR PROTECTION AND RESPECT!
I have loved animals, ever since I was a child obsessed with dinosaurs. The natural world is far too precious for us to waste.

While I have not established a direction for my life yet, science and animals shall be significant parts of it.

After all, what kind of man has a constant smile on his face when he sees animals at the zoo, on the discovery channel or in a book?

ME, that's who. And proud of it!

2 Comments:

At October 2, 2008 at 5:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you ever feel bad about the animals behind a fence in a zoo, or do they always put a smile on your face?

I remember once going to the Toronto zoo and was really excited to see the penguins. We walked and walked and couldn't find them anywhere...turns out they got a horrible skin disease and yada yada they are no longer at the zoo!!

 
At October 2, 2008 at 5:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, yes I absolutely do feel bad about the animals being in cages. However, in our society, that is the only way an individual can see these amazing animals.

The last time I went, I wanted to see the reptiles, but they were also sick due to some scale infection. It was sad.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home